|With 21 out of whom only a third were aged over 19 and the normal support of parents and other Club members the Surrey Walking Open 5km was a very pleasant and successful event. Half of the starters did the shorter 3km option mostly because of the usual age restrictions and this race was won by Jack Childs from Medway in a personal best. Fourth was BBHAC’s Abigail Smith easily first in her age-group. New-comer, SWC’s Chris Edwards, brought up the 3km field but finished in a fair time for his age-group.
The 5km was won from gun to tape by the excellent Ian Richards from Steyning as he prepares to enter the M70 group with more age group records. Young Ollie Hopkins and David Crane were close, over a minute behind Ian as David did his first walking race for several months. Malcolm Martin, nursing an injury but encouraging wife Angela to the best SWC performance and victory in the Club handicap as she overtook and left Peter Hannell in the second half of the race.
This was the last race in the 2016/17 season and so completed the Albury Cup handicap points competition. As it happens David and Angela tied for 3rd place while winner David Hoben was unable to make this event but had already enough good results. David Delaney, also absent, filled the second place but might have won had he taken part. In total 11 members had taken part in the competition but unfortunately only 3 in each of the three summer evening events.
In the Home countries international against Ireland, Isobel Bridge from Blackheath & Bromley was a good fourth behind two excellent Irish girls and Cambridge Harrier, Lucy Lewis-Ward reports coach, Shaun Lightman.
5km (Handicap position in brackets)
1. I.Richards (Steyn M65) 25 min 22.3 sec; 2. O.Hopkins (Lewes U20 M) 26 min 36.5 sec; 3(2). D.Crane (Sy WC M35) 26 min 50.5 sec; 4. M.Crane (Bexley U17B) 26 min 53.9 sec; 5. L.Legon (Camb H U23 M) 26 min 53.9 sec; 6(3). M.Martin (Sy WC M60) 34 min 9.7 sec; 7. P.Hannell (Sy WC M70) 34 min 33.1 sec.
1. E.Ghose (Ton U20W) 27 min 58.9 sec; 2. J.Benson (Ashf U17G) 33 min 33.1 sec; 3(1). A.Martin (Sy WC W50) 34 min 11.5 sec; 4. G.Legon (Bexley W55) 35 min 50.1 sec.
1. J.Childs (M&M U15B) 15 min 33.9 sec; 2. C.Hobbs (Ashf M60) 16 min 17.3 sec; 3. C.Hopper (Camb H U13B) 19 min 29.6 sec; 4. C.Edwards (Sy WC M65) 21 min 47.8 sec;
1. L.Carty (AFD U15G) 17 min 20.3 sec; 2. A.Smith (B&B U13G) 17 min 48.1 sec; 3. E.Payton_White (Lewes U17G) 18 min 30.7 sec; 4. H.Hopper (Camb H U15G) 18 min 34.3 sec; 5. K.Stringer (M&M U13G) 19 min 19.3 sec.
1. H.Atkinson (Camb H U13G) 14 min 14.9 sec;