|The Cecil Gittins meeting at Gravesend was greeted with Summerlike conditions which were very welcome after the rain but less welcome for those competing as the higher temperature added to the hills and bends on the course to make the races, especially the 15km, even harder. Although some put up excellent times a larger number found it very hard work and were slowed as a result giving a wide range of performances. Surrey Walking Club was represented across the various distances even if thinly. The full event over 15km had a combined field of 7 of whom 3 were SWC with Angela and Malcolm Martin both finishing and a particularly good time for the latter. Angela, while recently injured, was not too far from her previous standard with Chris Flint also completing in a fair time. The more popular 10km had 17 out with David Crane up in 2nd despite an earlier Park Run and a time which he was pleased with. Further down but up to scratch were Mick Harran and David Hoben, the event organizer. A very unfit Peter Hannell battled with David over the first 5km with difficulty and settled for the shorter event only to be embarrassed by being first home against the older competition including 85 year-old Ken Livermore. At the other end of the age scale were two of Shaun Lightman’s Blackheath charges doing one 2.5 km lap. Abi Smith, now in the Under 15 group, won the race while Katie Brash was the only Under 13 and it was the latter who had better performance over what was for her a long and hard distance.|
2.5 km Girls
1. A.Smith (B&B 1st U15G) 15 min 2 sec; 2. C.Wallis (AFD U15G) 15 min 43 sec; 3. M.Morris (M&M U17G) 15 min 45 sec 4. K.Brash (B&B 1st U13G) 16 min 33 sec.
1. P.Hannell (Sy WC M75) 36 min 24 sec; 2. C.Edwards (Sy WC M65) 37 min 5 sec; 3. D.Ainsworth (Ilf M65) 44 min 28 sec; 4. K.Livermore (E&H M85) 44 min 40 sec.
1. H.Middleton (E&H W55) 1 hr 1 min 29 sec; 2. M.Peddle (Loughton W45) 1 hr 3 min 0 sec; 3. J.Benson (Ashf U20W) 1 hr 5 min 11 sec.
10km Men (excl 15km competitors)
1. F.Reis (TVH M55) 50 min 45 sec; 2. D.Crane (Sy WC M40) 52 min 34 sec; 3. C.Hobbs (Ashf M60) 57 min 44 sec; 10. M.Harran (Sy WC M75) 1 hr 12 min 6 sec; 11. D.Hoben (Sy WC M65) 1 hr 14 min 15 sec.
1. A.Martin (Sy WC W50) 1 hr 54 min 6 sec.
1. S.Parris (Ilf M) 1 hr 25 min 24 sec; 2. M.Martin (Sy WC M60) 1 hr 25 min 38 sec; 3. O.Hopkins (Lewes U20 M) 1 hr 28 min 22 sec; 6. C.Flint (Sy WC M70) 1 hr 47 min 58 sec;